Greek food is often considered to be one of the healthiest cuisines in the world. And, luckily, it tastes great too! Click through for 13 delicious, flavorful & healthy Greek recipes!
See Also: Best Crepes Ever
- 30 grape leaves
- 1 cup rice
- 1 white onion
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tomato puree*
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Lemon wedges
1. Put grape leaves into a medium pot of boiling water on high heat and cook until tender but retain the same shape, about 7 minutes. Move grape leaves to a medium bowl filled with ice water and let them sit in the water for about 5 minutes. Strain.
2. Remove stem from the leaves and set aside for later use.
3. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato puree and herbs and mix well on heat for about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add rice to skillet and mix well.
6. On your work surface, put the leaves, shiny side down. Place a tablespoon of rice mixture on the center of the leaf.
7. Here’s the fun (or tricky!) part: fold the bottom of the leaf over. Next, fold the sides of the leaf inwards. Roll the part of the leaf with the mixture towards the top. The dolmades should be snug. Repeat.
8. Place dolmades in a casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for about an hour. Serve with lemon wedges.
* To make tomato puree from scratch, place about 2 medium sized cored tomatoes in a food processor.
Recipe adapted from: Kalofagas.
Also Check Out: DIY Soft Pretzels (Recipe)
Pasta with Wild Greens & Olives
- 1 lb fresh linguine (or any fresh/dry pasta you desire)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeded, cored & chopped finely
- 1 pound wild greens, like chicory, mustard greens, rocket, sorrel, dandelion leaves or turnip tops
- 2 ounces elitses, kalamata or gaeta olives
- Grated cheese, like kefalotyri or pecorino romano
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Strain and transfer to heated bowl.
2. While pasta is cooking, make sauce. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add chili pepper and garlic and cook for about a minute. Add greens and olives. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook until greens are tender, about 7 minutes.
3. Add greens/sauce to pasta, toss and serve immediately.
Recipe Adapted from Paola Gavin.
Soups, Salads & Appetizers
Entrees & Sides