13 Ways to Use Vinegar
By Lissa Coffey for DivineCaroline
When we’re good to our environment, we’re good to ourselves. We don’t need all those chemicals in the cleaning products we buy (often at a mighty high price), and the environment doesn’t need them either. Because of its acidity, white distilled vinegar is super effective at killing most mold, bacteria, and germs—plus, it’s eco-friendly.
Here are some suggestions on how to use vinegar to clean your home:
1. Shine chrome and remove lime buildup by making a paste of 2 tablespoons salt, and 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar.
2. For a natural scouring cleanser, mix 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 tablespoon liquid detergent, and just enough white vinegar to give it a thick and creamy texture.
3. Make your own window cleaner with 1/2 cup ammonia, 2 cups white vinegar, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed in a gallon of water.
4. Deodorize a garbage disposal by pouring in 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup hot white vinegar. Let it sit for five minutes—then run hot water down the disposal.
5. Mix 1/2 cup white vinegar with 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Put it in the microwave, and let it boil. To clean baked-on foods and remove odors, simply wipe the microwave clean.
6. Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar into a solution to clean the refrigerator inside and out.
7. Mix equal parts of salt or baking soda with white vinegar to scrub away stains from coffee and tea-cups, and rinse clean.
8. Polish brass and copper with a mixture of 2 tablespoons ketchup and 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Rub it on with a clean cloth until the object is dry and shiny.
9. Soak a sponge in white vinegar to wipe grease off of exhaust fans.
10. Clean grout with full-strength white vinegar and a toothbrush.
11. Kill germs by spraying full-strength white vinegar on doorknobs, and then wipe dry.
12. Clean your barbecue grill by spraying white vinegar on it, and then scrubbing with wadded-up aluminum foil.
13. Clean off stickers, decals, or sticky stuff with a cloth dipped in white vinegar.