15 Surprising Uses for Ice Cube Trays
Both in and out of the freezer, ice cube trays have a number of clever uses beyond just, well, making ice. Click through to check out some of them! Have a tip of your own for repurposing ice cube trays? Share it with us in the comments!
Earlier: 12 Surprising Uses for Chalk
Home & Organizing
1. Keep Your Office Supplies Organized. Have a ton of thumb tacks, paper clips, and the like? Keep them nice and tidy with an ice cube tray.
2. Stop Losing Your Earrings! Keep track of your earrings, and keep them together in an ice cube tray in your drawer. Rings, pins, and other small jewelry works well, too.
3. Collect the Random Things You Find in Pockets When You’re Doing Laundry. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever found?!
4. Organize Your Junk Drawer. Tidy up all the random things in your junk drawer.
Related: 4 Barbecue Safety Tips from the USDA
5. Keep Chopped Foods Handy While You’re Cooking. Cooking can require lots of chopping! Keep track of all of the small quantities of chopped foods in an ice cube tray. Added bonus: fewer dishes to do!
6. Things You Can Freeze Easily for Later Use:
You can transfer any of the following to a freezer bag after they’re fully frozen. When it’s time to use, keep in mind that 8 cubes is roughly equal to one cup, 4 to 1/2 cup, and so on.
- Lemon & Lime Juice
- Stocks & Soups
- Fresh Herbs
- Cookie Dough
- Egg Whites
- Tomato Paste
- Simple Syrup
- Fresh Berries
- Homemade Baby Food
See Also: 15 Surprising Uses for Bananas
7. Prevent Coffee or Tea from Getting Watered-Down. If you want iced tea or coffee, but don’t have the patience to let it cool down naturally, freeze it for later and plop it in your drink. No more watery iced tea!
8. Freeze Leftover Wine. If you’re not using the whole bottle, freeze it. Frozen wine is also great to have around when you’re making a recipe that calls for vino.
9. Freeze Juices to Add a Fruity Twist To Your Drink. Crave the juice but not the calories? Add an ice cube or two of frozen juice to your glass of water.
10. Freeze Mint in Ice Cubes… And make mojitos!
More Like This: How to Cut an Onion Without Tears
Crafts & Hobbies
11. Organize Beads, Buttons, and Other Small Crafty Things. Never lose a button again!
12. Use as a Paint Palette. Especially helpful for watercolors.
13. Sprout Seeds. Get a jump start on your garden by sprouting seeds in an ice cube tray.
14. Use as a Soap Mold. Especially fun for all those ice cube trays that come in clever shapes!
15. Keep Nuts and Bolts Handy When You’re Taking Something Apart. If you’ve ever taken something apart only to not be able to put it back together again because a teeny-tiny screw went missing, this one’s for you.