5. Artichokes & Greens Stew.
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 Large artichokes hearts, stems quartered
- 8 shallots, halved
- Coarse salt
- 2 Teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sumac (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 Ounces curly endive, roots trimmed
- 8 Ounces swiss chard, stems removed and sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 Large lemon, quartered
1. In a 6 quart dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in artichokes and shallots and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the artichokes and shallots are lightly browned. Season with salt to taste, and stir in poppy seeds, optional sumac, paprika and pepper. Stir frequently for another 2 minutes, until the mixture is fragrant. Add about 6 cups of water. Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil. When it’s boiling, turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the artichokes and shallots are tender. Stir in greens and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
2. Add more salt to taste. Transfer greens with a slotted spoon to four bowls. Add some shallots and artichoke hearts to the bowls, and then ladle some broth over them. Pour some olive oil and squeeze a little lemon on ear bowl of soup. Serve with remaining broth.
Recipe Credit: Saveur.