9. Grilled Eggplant Salad with Tomato, Olive and Cucumber.
- 1 Large eggplant
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 Pint cherry tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 2 Stalks celery, trimmed and diced finely
- 1 Sweet or Spring onion
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 5-7 Large green olives, pitted and slivered
- 1 Tablespoon capers, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
1. Place rack in center of oven. Preheat to 375 degrees. Using nonstick foil or parchment paper, line a baking sheet.
2. Starting at the top of the eggplant with a vegetable peeler, cut 2 inch strips of eggplant’s peel. Discard peel. Remove the top and bottom of the eggplant, and then cut the middle portion into 6 1-inch thick slices. Transfer eggplant slices to the baking sheet and brush about 1 teaspoon of olive oil on each slice, followed by some salt and pepper. Roast until fully tender and browned lightly, about 45 minutes. Let the slices cool in the baking sheet.
3. Slice the eggplant with a mandoline or the slicing blade of a box grater.
4. Place tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic, olives, capers and oregano in a large bowl. Toss gently. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Season with red pepper, black paper and salt to taste. Place one slice of eggplant on each plate, and cover each slice with the tomato mixture. Drizzle some olive oil over the cucumber slices and toss, then strew over each plate. Finish with a little salt over the cucumber slices.
Recipe Credit: Dorie Greenspan.
More Eggplant Recipes:
10. Gluten-Free Eggplant Parmesan
11. Grilled Eggplant Stacks With Tomato, Feta & Basil
12. Eggplant Confetti Salad
13. Quick Zucchini and Eggplant Casserole
14. Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
15. Mediterranean Eggplant Delight