1. Fruit Fly Trap – Is your kitchen compost bin attracting fruit flies? Mine too! Instead of introducing poison to your kitchen to handle this pest problem, try some apple cider vinegar! Just fill a mason jar with about 1″ of ACV, add a drop of dish soap, and cover the whole thing with a bit of plastic wrap that has holes punched into it. Goodbye, fruit flies!
2. No ‘Poo for Beautiful Hair – Vinegar in your hair? Yes! Apple cider vinegar’s pH is great for your locks. It’s part of what’s called the “No ‘Poo Method” (‘poo is short for shampoo). Learn more about how to no ‘poo here!
3. Unclog a Drain with the Volcano Method – Is your kitchen sink or tub drain clogged? Pour 1/2 cup baking soda chased with 1 cup white vinegar down the drain. Let it foam for as long as it wants, then follow with 4 cups boiling water. Follow the boiling water with some cold tap water to wash the clog away completely.
Related Reading: 5 Recipes for Homemade Personal Care Products
4. Clean the Toilet – This is another volcano method. Pour 1 cup each baking soda and white vinegar into the bowl and close the lid while you clean the rest of the bathroom. When you’re done, stains will wipe away easily with the toilet brush.
5. Remove Sticky Labels – Use a rag to soak the sticker in white or apple cider vinegar, then use an old gift card to scrape it away. If there’s any gunk left when you’ve got the sticker off, soak it with more vinegar for a few minutes, then scrub it with your rag.
Next>> More unusual uses for vinegar!
photo by Becky Striepe