10. Meditate. The act of calming your mind can relax the nervous system, which tends to be in stress mode due to our high-stress, fast-paced lives.
11. Deep breathe for at least 5 minutes, as often as you can. Research shows that breathing deeply can reduce the amount of the stress hormone cortisol that is released from the adrenal glands. Simply reducing this hormone can reduce anxiety, stress, and even help with weight loss.
12. Dry skin brush. Brush your skin using a natural-bristled brush. Start with the legs and brush upwards toward the heart. Then brush the trunk of the body also toward the heart (avoiding the breasts), and then brush the arms toward the heart. This gets the lymphatic system moving to eliminate toxins more effectively. Take a couple of minutes before hopping in the shower.
13. Snack between meals on healthy snacks like almonds, veggie crudite, hummus and whole grain pitas. Snacking every few hours helps keep blood sugar levels stable, which is critical to reduce mood swings, depression, balance energy and to lose weight.
14. Stop and smell the flowers. It’s okay to slow down to a pace that you actually enjoy life more.
15. Eliminate at least one item from your life that contains toxic chemicals (dryer sheets, most types of commercial laundry soap, dish soap, “air fresheners,” etc.). Choose a natural option from your health food store instead.
16. Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables. We know we should eat our vegetables but it’s difficult to remember sometimes. Add mashed sweet potatoes as a side dish, or saute some greens with freshly chopped garlic and toss with a little fresh lemon juice and sea salt. Even people who don’t like greens tend to love this way of preparing them. Check out my book Healing Recipes if you need more ideas for creating delicious vegetable dishes.
17. Dust off that piece of exercise equipment you’ve owned for years and put it in front of your television. If you’re watching TV, exercise on the commercials. No equipment? Do pushups, sit-ups, crunches, or other exercises on the commercials. It’s easy and it adds up. Soon, you’ll be surprised how fit you are.
18. Do something nice for someone. It just feels good to do something nice for someone else. Usually we reap the greatest benefits out of paying good deeds forward. A positive attitude is contagious.