28 Ways To Move On From A Breakup
By Janet Ong Zimmerman for YourTango.com.
“Have faith that true love is meant to be and one day love will come shining through. No matter how sad your heart is, the love that you wish for will come true…if you believe.”
When a relationship is over, it’s time to let go. Holding on to a past love clutters up your heart and mind. Letting go opens up the space and possibilities to attract the partner of your dreams. Try these things to stop dwelling on the relationship you had with your ex.
More from YourTango: Starting Over Advice
14 things to stop doing now:
- Listening to love songs that remind you of them
- Going to places where you spent time together
- Thinking about the good times you had together
- Communicating with them (erase their phone number, email address, texts, etc.)
- Being friends with benefits or being the other woman
- Wishing and hoping that they’ll come back to you
- Being in denial that it’s over
- Looking at their pictures, cards, love letters, and Facebook page
- Staying in contact with their friends and family
- Talking continually about them with your friends, family, and anyone who will listen
- Trying to run into them in bars and nightclubs
- Looking for them on online dating sites
- Trying to make them jealous by flirting with or connecting with they’re friends
- Letting yourself get rundown (i.e. over-eating, not exercising, etc.)
In addition to stopping the above things, the following practices will help you transition and move forward with more ease and grace.
More from YourTango: How to Move On From a Painful Breakup
14 things to start doing now:
- Find your happiness from within
- Be grateful for the wonderful things in your life
- Find your passions and focus on them
- Get healthy from the inside out
- Focus on the present moment and know that all is well
- Connect and spend time with your family and friends
- Enjoy hobbies and activities that you’ve been meaning to do
- Do things to refresh, renew and soothe your soul
- Exercise and workout
- Listen to uplifting music
- Keep a journal
- Read positive books
- Create a bucket list and start doing things on your list
- Apply lessons (what you’ve learned) from your past relationships to create your ideal love life
Be patient and gentle with yourself during this time. It takes courage to move forward and becomes easier once you start. Try a few of the stops and starts. As you become comfortable with them, take on additional ones.
I’d love to learn what you’ve done to let go of a past relationship that was dear to your heart. What steps are you taking or have you taken to move forward in a positive manner?
More from YourTango: The Best Love Advice On YourTango
If you’re frustrated and tired about not being successful in love, get your free Monthly Guide to Love. You’ll receive insightful articles, inspirational resources and best practices that support your journey to love.
This article originally appeared on YourTango.com: 28 Ways To Move On From A Past Relationship.