Celery is 95% water, very alkaline, and filled with fiber. Its weight loss benefits are well-known, but you would be surprised at its other amazing health properties.
We consider it a powerfood that should be eaten daily.
13 Health Benefits:
1. Celery has blood pressure reducing properties. It contains active phthalides, which relax the muscles of the arteries that regulate blood pressure so the vessels dilate. Phthalides also reduce stress hormones, which can cause blood vessels to constrict.
2. The fiber is very good for weight loss.
3. Celery is purported to be a negative calorie food, which means it takes the body more calories to digest it than the food itself contains. While this is not strictly accurate, a single stalk of celery still has only a few calories due to being full of cellulose. The addition of celery to your diet will help you tremendously with your weight loss efforts. I consider it so important to weight loss that it is an element in my Weight Loss Boot Camp.
4. Celery contains plant hormones that calm and soothe the central nervous system, which will make your losing weight an easier thing to do.
5. Celery leaves are a source of flavonoid antioxidants zeaxanthin, lutein and beta-carotene, which have antioxidant, cancer-protective, and immune-boosting functions.
6. Celery seed is used to treat colds, arthritis, and diseases of the liver and spleen in Ayurvedic medicine.
Next page: 7 more health benefits
7. Celery seeds increase urine, according to information from the University of Maryland Medical Center.
8. The seeds may also treat arthritis and reduce inflammation, but we are still waiting for the research to verify this.
9. Celery essential oil, extracted from the plant, has been used for nervousness, osteoarthritis, and gouty-arthritis conditions.
10. The seeds and roots help breast milk secretion.
12. Celery is an alkaline food. Most people are too acidic and thus suffer from a major body imbalance. One result of this is extreme difficulty in losing weight.
13. Celery combines with just about any food, even fruit to some degree. This helps the digestion and has many powerful health benefits in itself.
Next page: Interesting celery facts
Trivia & Interesting Facts:
- Celery salt, a combination of salt with celery leaves, seeds, or roots is a well-known seasoning in cocktails like the Bloody Mary, as well as in Chicago-Style Hot Dogs.
- In Homer’s Iliad, the horses of the Myrmidons graze on wild celery that grows in the marshes of Troy.
- Celery leaf garlands were found in the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, who died in 1323 BC.
- The celery root, called celeriac, can be cut up and eaten like any vegetable (photo above).
- Celery stalks (what most of us think about when talking about celery) were not commonly eaten till the 17th century.
Next page: Nutrition facts, how to use, and cautions
- Celery is a great source of vitamins K and A, folate, potassium, and vitamin C.
- It has essential minerals such as Folacin and Potassium.
- Provides good dietary fiber.
Nutritional Information from the WLR database:
1 Medium Stalk Celery / 40g Raw
How to Store:
It’s best to keep it in the fridge. If the stalks become limp, then simply cut the bottom inch and submerge in water till it is firm again.
Tips for Eating or Cooking:
- Weight Loss Tip: Celery sticks to the rescue! Have a container of celery stalks in the fridge, washed and cut up into sticks. When you are hungry, eat a couple of celery sticks.
- Of course, add it to your salads! Also add to your stir fry, soups, stews, and casseroles.
- A perfect treat is a celery stick with almond butter or peanut butter spread into the ‘groove.’ Nothing else is required.
Celery can cause severe allergic reactions. For people with a celery allergy, exposure can cause potentially fatal anaphylactic shock. In the European Union, foods that contain or may contain celery, even in trace amounts, must be clearly marked as such.
Celery is low in calories, so some think that going on a celery-only diet would be a good way to lose weight. However, with 1/2 cup chopped celery containing 8 calories (according to the USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory), it would not be possible to meet the 1,000 calorie minimum or 1,200 calorie minimum calorie allotment for women or men. You would have to eat a lot of celery! Also, celery has no protein and no healthy fats.
Next page: Delicious celery recipes
Delicious Celery Recipes:
Cranberry-Celery-Onion Stuffing: A healthy addition to your Thanksgiving or holiday celebration.
Alkalizing Green Mixed Salad: You want something tasty to go with your celery, don’t you? This is it!
Avocado Vegetable Dip: You can dip your celery into this health dip, which also has celery in it!
Perfect Vegetable Juice: You can play around with the ingredients, but just so you know, this particular mixture IS perfect.
Bloody Mary: Alcohol-free and healthy, this is another tasty addition to upcoming celebrations!