Judging by the morning line at my local Starbucks drive-through, every month could be national coffee month. But, did you know that August actually is National Coffee Month? Since coffee ranks as one of the most popular beverages in the world, it does not surprise me there is an entire month devoted to it. This off-beat holiday is designed to celebrate all things coffee, whether it’s brewed or baked.
I am an avid tea drinker but, I also have an addiction to coffee mochas. I just love the combination of chocolate and coffee, and I am not alone in this preference. For many foodies, the bittersweet flavor of coffee makes it an ideal ingredient for sweet desserts. In fact, fresh or used coffee grounds can add flavor to your baked goodies, and often the richest brownies and chocolate cakes have coffee in them.
Since it’s National Coffee Month, I thought it would be fitting to share some yummy chocolatey coffee desserts. Do you have a favorite chocolate recipe? Please share your own coffee dessert ideas in the comments.
- If you’re a mocha lover like me, try these moist and naturally vegan coffee, chocolate cupcakes. You don’t need eggs, butter or even a lot of time to make these treats.
- More in the mood for a brownie? Try this Huffpost Taste recipe for Jumbo Brownies – walnuts are added to strong brewed espresso along with semisweet chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips.
- For something candy-like, try these Chocolate Truffle Tarts with just a touch of coffee wrapped in a chocolate crust and filled with chocolate.
- To cool off on those hot end of summer days, try this tasty Mocha Frozen Yogurt that uses instant coffee or instant espresso.
- If you want to find more tasty coffee recipes, and not just dessert choices, check out the coffee fanatic page Gone Ta Pott that lets you search for all kinds of ways to “cook with coffee.” On the Coffee Desserts page, there are plenty of drool-worthy recipes, including Coffee Fudge.
And remember, whatever you do with your coffee, try to purchase and use only fair trade coffee.