5 Decadent & Warm Vegan Drinks for Winter
It’s officially chilly out there! Rather than turn up the thermostat this winter, warm yourself from the inside out with these decadent vegan drinks.
Of course, you could warm yourself up with a hot cup of tea, but isn’t there something about the cold weather that makes you crave a rich, decadent drink to warn your belly and your soul? Folks usually associate drinks like hot cocoa and chai tea with cow’s milk, but armed with some tasty milk alternatives and a careful eye for label-reading, you can satisfy your sweet tooth with a cruelty-free mug instead.
Need a little inspiration to fill your mug? We’ve got five decadent vegan drinks that are sure to please!
1. Coconut Hot Chocolate
It’s a common misconception that chocolate isn’t vegan. In fact, quality dark chocolate doesn’t contain any milk at all. When chocolate-makers do add dairy, it’s usually butter oil or milkfat. Ghirardelli’s semi-sweet chocolate chips are totally vegan, and Whole Foods 365 brand makes vegan chocolate chips, as well.
This coconut hot chocolate recipe makes four cups of rich, creamy cocoa.
- 4c of coconut milk
- 1c vegan dark chocolate chips
- 3t powdered sugar
- 1t vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Heat the coconut milk into a small, thick-bottomed pot on low heat until it starts to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well until the chocolate melts and everything is totally combined.
- Heat for a few minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a little bit of cocoa powder, if you like.
2. Almond Milk Chai
This rich, spiced tea features ginger, cardamom, and almond milk! The recipe makes one mug.
- 1 teabag of fair trade chai tea
- 1c boiling water
- 1/4c almond milk
- 1t maple syrup
- Steep the tea in a mug of hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate mug, heat the almond milk and maple syrup in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove the bag from the tea and pour it over the almond milk mixture. Stir, and enjoy!
3. Vegan Nog
Traditional nog features raw eggs, but you can whip up a vegan version that’s just as tasty! This recipe makes four cups.
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1t each: cinnamon, ground ginger
- 1/2t each: nutmeg, cardamom
- 4 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- optional: 4oz. whiskey or dark rum
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over low heat with all of the spices, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you’re using booze, stir it in when you remove the nog from the heat.
- Ladle your nog into mugs, and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
4. Rice Milk Steamer
Steamed rice milk is just the thing to warm your belly before bedtime! This makes one serving.
- 1c rice milk
- 1/4t cinnamon
- 1/2t vanilla extract
- pinch of nutmeg
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Bring everything to a simmer, stirring constantly, and continue stirring as it cooks for 3 more minutes.
- Pour into a mug, garnish with extra cinnamon if you like, and enjoy!
5. Pumpkin Spice Latte
This homemade take on a latte is quick and easy! It’s more like a cafe au lait, if you want to get technical. This recipe makes two mugs, so invite a friend over for coffee and a chat!
- 2c hot, strong, fair trade coffee (brewed)
- 1/2c almond milk
- pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice OR 1t cinnamon, 1/2t ground ginger, 1/4t ground allspice, 1/4t ground cloves, 1/8t ground nutmeg
- 2-3T maple syrup
- While the coffee is brewing, combine your almond milk, spices, and maple syrup in a small saucepan.
- Heat on low heat, stirring constantly, until the coffee is brewed, or around 5 minutes.
- Pour your coffee into a mug, then pour the almond milk mixture over the top.
Do you have a favorite vegan cold-weather drink? Share away in the comments!
Image Credit: Thinkstock
Image credits: Thinkstock