Now that youíve discovered that youíre an underearner, figured out if youíre a doer or a dawdler, learned the single most important piece of financial advice ever, and identified the 12 signs that youíre resisting making money, itís time to dig into the real nitty gritty of Barbara Stannyís fabulous book Overcoming Underearning.
This last post in the Overcoming Underearning series lays out the 5 Step Plan To A Richer life that Barbara teaches in her books and workshops. So what are the steps?
5 Steps To A Richer Life
- Tell the truth about whatís not working and what is. If youíre spending all your money supporting a hobby that just isnít cutting it financially, something needs to change. That doesnít mean you have to throw away your dream or bury your creative project. It just means itís time to put your big girl pants on and face the truth. Until you admit what lies at the root of your underearning, youíll be hard pressed to overcome it.
- Make a firm decision about what you truly want. No pussy-footing around here, sisters. (Ooh — is the term ďpussy-footingĒ insulting to women? By golly, I think it is. Letís switch that to ďNo fussing around here, sisters.Ē) WHATíS YOUR DREAM? Decide. Get very, very clear. Stop questioning yourself and commit to going for it. (But donít forget Step 1: Tell the truth about whatís not working and what is. If youíre clear on your dream and itís not working, donít change the dream but change how you go about achieving it.)
- Look for opportunities to stretch by doing what you think you canít do. This is all about what I call ďExercising Your Risk MuscleĒ in my Get Out Of Your Own Way e-course. Itís about getting out of your comfort zone. Itís about pushing yourself beyond what you think you can do. Itís about finding your voice and asking for what you need. Itís about stretching so the leap is less scary. And just like stretching in an exercise class, it might hurt at first, but the more you do it, the further you can stretch without discomfort.
- Surround yourself with a supportive community. This is where Owning Pink comes in! Join the Owning Pink Posse community and post your comments here to rock out with some awesome women who will blow pixie dust beneath your mighty wings and link arms with you while you stretch, get out of your own way, and ultimately — LEAP into your dreams.
- Respect and appreciate money by taking good care of it. This means doing your homework, learning about how to manage your own money, and letting go of the fantasy that Prince Charming (or Daddy or Grandma or anyone other than you) can be responsible for your financial security. This means spend less, save more, invest wisely, and give generously. This means getting out of debt and getting into good financial habits.
When I evaluate these steps in my own life, I realize that I get stuck on #1 and #5. I get attached to what I want to work in my financial life, rather than telling the truth about what actually works. And when it comes to bank statements, investments, and bills, I have a tendency to play ostrich, passing them off to my husband so I donít have to stress myself out. But whatís empowering about that? Nada. Time to buck up, get real, and face the money!
What about you? Where do you get stuck? How can you get yourself into a more prosperous life? For help overcoming underearning, read Barbara Stannyís book and sign up for the free Get Out of Your Own Way mini e-course that I developed to take you even deeper into the journey of living a life overflowing with abundance.
*†† *†† *†† *
Lissa Rankin, MD: Founder of OwningPink.com, Pink Medicine Woman coach, motivational speaker, and author of†Whatís Up Down There? Questions Youíd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend and Encaustic Art: The Complete Guide To Creating Fine Art With Wax.
Learn more about Lissa Rankin here.