Important Facts about the New Fees
1. Pay with Your Debit Card. It may have a credit card logo, but debit card users don’t fall under these new rules. Neither, of course, will cash users.
2. Look for Signage. Merchants will be required to post signs, either at the front of the store or at the checkout counter, letting customers know that they will be charged. Online shoppers will be warned if they are being charged, too. Look on the merchant’s homepage.
3. These Fees are Illegal in Some States. Are you a resident of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, or Texas? You’re in luck — you can’t be charged the extra fees!
4. American Express Cardholders Aren’t Affected. The issuer already doesn’t allow merchants to pass on the fee to customers.
5. It’s Unclear How Widespread These Fees Will Become. Because not every retailer will charge credit card users, many large stores will be disinclined to charge their customers. Most likely, the retailers that will charge these fees will be small businesses. But don’t stop supporting your favorite mom-and-pop shop: use cash or debit!
See Also: 8 Commonly Mispronounced Words