Mmm, quinoa – a superfood with no fewer than six awesome health benefits. Let us count the ways we love you, quinoa!
- are a complete protein-rich food containing NINE essential amino acids with almost double the fiber of other grains.
- contain a healthy dose of iron.
- contain lysine, which is great for tissue growth and repair.
- are a great source of magnesium.
- are high in riboflavin (B2).
- contain a high content of manganese, which is a great antioxidant.
Looking for an awesome quinoa recipe? There’s a ton of great ones out there, but here’s a personal favorite:
Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes (from MindBodyGreen.com)
Makes 10 cakes (5 servings)
- 2 medium baked sweet potatoes (skins discarded)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper and set aside. Place prepared sweet potatoes in a large bowl and use a fork to mash potatoes against sides of bowl until only small chunks of potato appear. Stir in quinoa, scallions, garlic, salt, red pepper and cumin, stirring to thoroughly combine ingredients.
Using wet hands, begin shaping quinoa mixture into palm-sized patties, placing on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until mixture is gone.
Pour olive oil into a small bowl and use a silicone brush to lightly coat the top of each patty with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
Drizzle approximately 1 Tbsp. Avocado-Lime Dressing (below) on top of two patties and serve.
Avocado-Lime Dressing (gluten-free and vegan)
Makes approximately 6 servings (2 Tablespoons per serving)
- 1 avocado, peel and pit removed
- 1 Tbsp. of sesame tahini
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 cilantro sprigs, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until smooth (about 1-2 minutes). Serve over Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes, or use as a salad dressing.
In the comments below, tell us all about YOUR favorite quinoa recipes!
Source: Natural News