START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

6 Shocking Pollutants In Your Home

  • 2 of 7

The pollutant: Candles

Sure, they make for a cozy ambiance, but when you light one made from paraffin–as most candles are–you’re potentially harming your health. Researchers at South Carolina State University found that paraffin candles emit chemicals that are linked to liver damage, neurological problems, and leukemia. They can also release a black soot that, over time, may damage your lung and heart tissue, says Jeffrey May, an expert on indoor air quality and author of My House Is Killing Me: The Home Guide for Families with Allergies and Asthma.

The solution: Choose cleaner mood lighting in the form of electric votives, or buy 100 percent soy candles, which can burn at a slower rate and emit less soot. If you can’t avoid burning paraffin, do so only occasionally and in a draft-free area. And cut out the heavily fragranced jar-style versions, says May; they produce more soot.

Foods That Boost Immunity

  • 2 of 7

Read more: Children, General Health, Health & Safety, Home, Household Hints, Non-Toxic Cleaning, , , , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Rodale

Rodale.com is a new original source for daily news, information, and advice on personal and environmental health. Rodale.com focuses on “Where Health Meets Green” topics, providing daily news stories and breaking news along with easy-to-follow, high-impact tips and advice.

111 comments

+ add your own
8:32PM PDT on Aug 6, 2011

thanks

2:42PM PDT on Jul 7, 2011

Very good report, and a true report, the times I use my Ventolin inside my property it was unbelieveable,
When going outside in the town very rear I have to use my Ventolin,
on Sundays, afternoon I always go into the Countryside of Barlaston in Stoke-on-Trent, feels if I could rule the world, never have use the said Ventolin, however, when returning home, I am Dead to the world, that much Fresh Air in one go, does indeed knock me out at Night.
I am a sever Asthmatic.

2:39AM PDT on Jun 12, 2011

Shoes come off at the door. I only use candles in emergency cases, such as power outages, because they're less expensive than using up batteries on flashlights. The only other times I use candles are for birthdays and jack-o-lanterns.

12:58AM PDT on Jun 9, 2011

That's excellent info - very informative. I need to move away from living alongside a road that has far too much air and noise pollution - my lungs tell me this... my whole body reacts against the noise pollution. So enough is enough !

11:51AM PDT on Jun 8, 2011

I didn't know many of those, thank you!

3:25AM PDT on Jun 7, 2011

Thanks, that was a revelation! now I will be more careful about candles, wood furniture, dust, mold. I don't use printers ... another reason not to use it.

5:45PM PDT on Jun 4, 2011

Woah, never knew that about printers. I will be relocating mine. Thank you so much for this article.

7:36AM PDT on Jun 4, 2011

Thank you for the useful information. I didn't know about the furniture and printers.

6:44AM PDT on Jun 3, 2011

I kinda knew all of these except the printers dont have one at home but in my office. OMG am I going to die from working!

11:36PM PDT on Jun 2, 2011

thanks for sharing, i knew only 2 out of the 6 which make me think deeper again.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

I have never seen left over wine red or white around here.

I look forward to this option

WOW...what an eye opener. I'l be forwarding this on to my husband toot sweet!!

You could also ask a pendulum lol or just use commonsense

Both my husband and I were raised on eating balanced meals with plenty of fruits and vegetables. We …

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.