Is your produce drawer overflowing with beautiful, farmers market peaches this summer? Try some of these delicious peach recipes!
This has been the summer of peaches at our house. A local farm offered me peaches, so that I could develop a peach cocktail recipe for them. I was expecting four, maybe five peaches. I got more like six dozen. Half of our refrigerator was made of peaches! These are some of the peach recipes I turned to to use up those seasonal beauties.
How to Store Peaches
If you’re rich with peaches like I was, you can buy yourself some more time to eat them fresh if you store them properly. Here’s how to store them:
- Sort through your bag or box of peaches. Any peaches that have a little bit of green on them or don’t smell a little bit fragrant should go on the kitchen counter. Keep an eye on those. Depending on how underripe they were, they’ll take anywhere from 24 hours to 3 days to ripen.
- Ripe peaches go into the fridge. Your fresh peaches will keep longer in the fridge if you store them in a plastic bag. I know, I hate plastic in the kitchen, too. I sacrificed time in the name of less plastic and just tossed mine into the produce drawer. If you go this route, they’ll last about three to five days. In a plastic bag, you can probably keep them for up to a week. My strategy was to use the ripest ones first.
- Overripe peaches go in the freezer. You can slice up overripe peaches and stick them into a freezer-safe container to prolong their shelf life even more. You can also throw them into the blender with a little bit of lemon juice, and pour the peach puree into ice cube trays. Pop the peach puree ice cubes into a freezer safe container, and you can use them as needed in recipes. Or just throw a few into a glass of sparkling water for instant peach soda any time you want!
6 Tasty Peach Recipes
1. Spicy Peach Popsicles – Garden-fresh jalapeno and sweet summer peaches combine to make a yummy grown-up popsicle recipe.
2. Peach-Cucumber Salsa – This refreshing salsa recipe is great with chips for dipping or on top of beans and rice or your favorite veggie tacos.
3. Peach-Ginger Smoothie – Start your day with a sweet and spicy green smoothie. This is a great way to use up an almost-too-ripe peach.
4. Peach-Carrot Smoothie – If green’s not your thing, try this vibrant peach smoothie that’s packed with beta carotene.
5. Peach Pudding – Treat yourself to this light, summery dessert.
6. Grilled Peach Lassi – A lassi is a traditional Indian drink with a yogurt base. This vegan version uses grilled peaches and coconut milk yogurt. And it’s deliciously decadent!