8 Fascinating Facts About Cows
Click through to learn some mind-blowing facts about cows!
1. Cows are quite socially complex creatures. They can form friendships, and they’ll get stressed if they’re separated from their best friend. They can even hold grudges against other cows!
2. It’s a common myth that bulls see red when they are angry. However, cattle can’t see the color red at all; they do, though, see most every other color.
Also Check Out: 5 Incredible Things Dogs Sense About You
3. If the world’s population of cows were its own country, it would be the most populous country on the planet. There are over 1.3 billion cows on earth.
4. On average, cows get about 4 hours of sleep a day.
Earlier: 8 Unbelievable Bridges (Slideshow)
5. Cows spend about 8 hours of their day chewing.
6. Cows were domesticated at least 10,000 years ago, most likely in Mesopotamia — modern day Turkey and Iraq.
Earlier: Skim Milk Doesn’t Do a Body Good
7. Cows were brought to the Americas by the Pilgrims.
8. Every holstein cow — you know, the famous white ones with black spots — have a different pattern of spots.
What’s with all the cow content? One wily Care2 member, Bessie Holstein, decided cows were underrepresented and started a petition. She officially staged a successful takeover of our offices, and has redubbed us “CareMoo.”