3. Reduce Stress by Eating Garlic
The main ingredient in garlic when digested is organosulfur allicin, which triggers your body to produce hydrogen sulfide. The combo creates an internal reaction that relaxes blood vessels and encourages blood flow. Translation: garlic is good for your heart and your head and helps manage stress.
4. Reduce Stress by Eating Chocolate
Balance isn’t just for yoga. In fact, a little bit of chocolate can go a long way when it comes to your diet. Dark chocolate has been shown to be filled with antioxidant flavonoids (which can minimize your risk of heart disease and reduce blood pressure). Some scientists have gone so far as to claim that the sweet stuff has more flavonoids than any other food (including blueberries). According to research published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, those said flavonoids help blood vessels relax, helping calm overall stress. Word to the wise, choose the lower fat dark chocolate to milk chocolate. It has a higher count of the good stuff. And of course opt for organic chocolate.
A Few Organic Chocolate Options to Salivate Over:
- Dagoba Eclipse 87 percent Organic Extra Dark Chocolate. We are getting crazy here now with this souped up super dark chocolate bar that offers flavor elements of tart and only slightly sweet citrus. Your taste buds start playing tricks on you once you reach this intensity! We also love their annual Seed the Day campaign that supports urban greening activities and encouraging volunteerism.
- Shaman Chocolates Organic Dark Chocolate with Acai, Lemon & Orange is Certified Organic, Fair Trade and souped up with superfoods like Acai berries (containing more antioxidants than blueberries or pomegranates).
- Amano Artisan Handcrafted Single Origin 70 percent Dark ChocolateŚMontanya is, like a fine wine, all about the terroir. Each variety comes from a specific place or origin, which imbues the bar with subtle hints of flavor reflective of the area. Montanya is made from cocoa beans exclusively from the mountains of Venezuela. It has natural flavor notes of apricot, nuts, marshmallow, and spice. This is the art of chocolate.