From special celebrations to weekend treats, the art of baking a cake from scratch is a worthy endeavor. If you’re looking for a vegan fruitcake recipe, zucchini cake, delectable crumb cake or one of the other eight delicious recipes from Incredibly Delicious: Recipes for a New Paradigm, that I’ve selected, you are bound to be pleased and delighted!
I’ve included a mix of simple recipes to whip up when unexpected guests arrive and more complicated recipes for lazy days when you want to fill the house with warmth and mouthwatering smells.
Before you begin, here are a couple of simple tips to make sure your cake turns out as planned:
1. Read through the entire recipe before starting and add ingredients in the order suggested.
2. Mix your wet and dry ingredients separately.
3. Make sure your baking dish is prepared (greased and floured if needed) and the oven is preheated before you mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
4. Once the cake is in the oven, do not open the oven until the cake has risen and looks relatively firm. If you open the oven too early you risk deflating the cake (it will still be delicious, but not as fluffy and it might look a bit funny.) If you do need to open the oven for some reason, be very careful when you close the door. A sudden jolt can cause the cake to sink in the center.
5. After the cake has risen and is firm (approximately 2/3 the cooking time) open the oven and turn the cake around to ensure even baking.
6. Allow the cake to cool fully before trying to remove it from the baking dish or cutting it.