When I remarked to a diplomatic group that we would never end terrorism until we endeared ourselves to the enemy, they stared at me as if I had lost my mind. I get much the same reaction whenever I say that the same country would be one with no army and no weapons.
The way of peace needs to replace the current style of negotiation, which has obviously proved futile.
How to Negotiate Conflicts Through Peace
1. Show respect for your opponent.
2. Recognize perceived injustice.
3. Believe in forgiveness.
4. Bond at the emotional level.
5. Desist in belligerent actions.
6. Recognize values that are opposed to yours.
7. Don’t pass judgment and make your opponent wrong.
8. Don’t talk in terms of ideology.
Adapted from Peace is the Way, by Deepak Chopra (Three Rivers Press, 2005).