9 Fresh and Healthy Uses for Lemons
I have just come back from Menton, the land of lemons, in France. Of course, I’ve carried a bunch of them with me, and cannot wait to put them to good use. Scouting for healthful and easy ways to squeeze the goodness from lemons, I came across some wonderful tips, which I am sharing here. If you have more ideas, do post them, too!
- Place 1 sliced lemon with 1 tbsp black tea leaves, a cinnamon stick and steep in hot water for a minute or two. Add honey, and enjoy your cup of comfort.
- Slice up a lemon or two and place in an ice tray. Pour water over them and freeze. You have lovely lemony ice-cubes for your next cup of tea or glass of punch!
- Squeeze lemon juice into extra virgin olive oil. Add some crushed garlic, black pepper, coarse salt and some finely chopped fresh herbs. A great salad dressing!
- Spike your Dijon mustard with some lemon juice to take the flavor up several notches, while adding a Vitamin C boost.
- Low-fat but luscious lemon-cream dressing for your salads or baked potatoes: simply whisk lemon juice into low-fat hung yogurt, and season to taste. Serve the potatoes hot or warm.
- Boil split yellow lentils with a pinch of turmeric and salt. Squeeze lemon juice into the hot lentil soup and enjoy hot. An excellent remedy for the flu!
- Pasta tossed with garlic, lemon, fruity olive oil and fresh basil. Divine! You could also drizzle this dressing on hot pizza for an exciting effect.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on freshly boiled rice. The grains will become wonderfully fluffy and fragrant.
- Halve a lemon and sprinkle coarse salt on it. Rub on elbows and knees to scrub away dead cells and leave skin radiant. This can also be used to rub the grease off grimy pans and cooking surfaces. Find many more lemony ideas here.