9 Quick & Healthy Twists to Mashed Potatoes
The first time I tasted mashed potatoes in the USA, I was quite surprised by the texture. The usually mealy spud had turned to silk in my mouth. And the many layers of flavor … butter, cream, garlic … it was all very new and exciting for my palate.
Since then, I have become a huge fan of this comforting mmm … mash.
But since the waistline must be watched while the taste buds are pampered, I keep thinking of creative ways to add flavor, texture and healthy goodness. Here are some ideas that do all of these:
- Whirl in some cottage cheese, for a more delicate taste and a boost of protein and calcium.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped cilantro leaves or other fresh herbs, for adding antioxidants and aroma.
- Add a few coarsely ground nuts. Almonds go well with potatoes. They offset the texture, and add great nutritional value to an ordinary mash.
- For a low-calorie treat and an exciting new taste, substitute the milk and cream with extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Add sage or rosemary for even deeper flavor. The olive oil and herbs add oodles of immunity-boosting, overall health benefits to your bowl.
- Dot the potatoes with some grilled corn, for an interesting crunch. And squeeze some lemon juice on the potatoes for an instant Vitamin C boost.
- Stir in some caramelized onions and a pinch of cinnamon. The natural sweetness of both ingredients gives you oodles of taste, without any guilt at all. In fact, the health benefits of onion and cinnamon can be the subject of an entire book!
- Broccoli bits, green onions and chives, chopped really fine, bring refreshing color and add a kick to mashed potatoes. Not to mention the antioxidants and vitamins they bring to the table.
- Mash some roasted garlic into your creamy potatoes. It tastes heavenly, and brings with it a generous amount of health benefits.
- Blend the potatoes with a few boiled peas or tender carrot cubes. They will acquire a delightful, light sweetness, and the vegetables will reward you with multiple health benefits, ranging from more fiber to better immunity.
I would love to hear your suggestions on how to make mashed potatoes more interesting and healthy!
Also, try adding cauliflower:
Guiltless Mashed Potatoes Recipe