Apricots and raisins add plenty of iron and mouth-watering flavor to this moist, dense cake. A quick and easy way to raise leftover rice to new heights of deliciousness! And it’s vegan, too.
1 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup golden raisins
3 cups cooked short-grain rice
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar (or natural sweetener to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely-ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch Springform pan.
2. Place the apricots and raisins in a heatproof bowl, add boiling water to cover, and allow to sit for 10 minutes or until soft; drain.
3. Chop the apricots and set the apricots and raisins aside.
4. Place the rice in a large bowl and add the apricots and raisins, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of the almonds, stirring to blend well.
5. Transfer the mixture to the pan, smooth the top, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until firm but still a little moist. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature in the pan, then refrigerate for several hours to firm up.
6. To serve, carefully remove the sides of the pan and sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining ground almonds. Serve cold or at room temperature.