Animal Poison Alert: Laundry Pods are Toxic To Pets

Pet parents beware: the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has just issued an alert that laundry detergent pods pose serious danger to pets when ingested. Obviously, no one is feeding these compact, often brightly-colored, pods to our pets, but if left out, dogs in particular seem to think they would make a tasty treat—and this usually does not end well for the pet.

I know many people love the convenience of those little mess-free pods as an alternative to leaky and drippy or powdery detergents. However, since these pods hold concentrated amounts of detergents—some with nasty additional chemicals—eating one of these can cause significant tummy troubles, diarrhea and irritation to an animal’s respiratory system, even leading to severe pneumonia. In worse-case scenarios pets have died.

In the past few years, the ASPCA and Poison Control have received regular reports of serious pet illness and death following the ingestion of laundry pods, which is why they are now issuing an alert.

ThinkstockPhotos-465054050

If your pet decides to chow on a pod, do contact your veterinarian or APCC immediately, even if he or she is not expressing any symptoms (888-426-4435). The Animal Poison Control Center is one of the best resources for any animal poison-related emergency. You can reach them 24-hours a day, 365-days a year.  The ASPCA also has an exhaustive list of cleaning supplies, human medications and cosmetics that should always be kept out of your pet’s reach. Check it out here: Poisonous Household Products page. You can also download an app for smart phones. Learn more here.

Not surprisingly, children are also attracted to these pods that look like a toy or an interesting snack. In 2014, over 11,000 caregivers called poison control centers after a child ingested a laundry pod. Consumer Reports thus just delisted all laundry pods as recommended detergents due to the danger they present to children and pets.

So, maybe in a household with little feet running around—whether furry or not—these little pods are not so convenient after all.

59 comments

Siyus Copetallus
Siyus Copetallus1 years ago

Thank you for sharing.

SEND
Amanda M.
Amanda M1 years ago

At the risk of sounding snarky (sorry, I'm of a mood to be obnoxious), the answer is simple: Keep the stupid pods where the kids and pets can't get at them! DUH! It's called common sense, people! Have we as a society become THAT dumbed down? Did we learn NOTHING from our parents? Sheesh, I knew better than to even THINK about getting into something I wasn't supposed to as a kid, because I knew that Dad would wear my butt out if I tried! Now thanks to the kind of "no discipline" parenting we see today, kids see parental orders as a triple dog dare! STUPID.

SEND
Deborah Servey
Deborah Servey1 years ago

I agree with Amy Thompson--time for people to be accountable and lock this stuff away, instead of suing others! And what ever happened to kids knowing their limits? When I was a kid, I knew what not to get into!!

SEND
Natasha Salgado
Past Member 1 years ago

Would never buy these pods which are tested on animals. thanks

SEND
Ake Lindberg
Ake Lindberg1 years ago

As Amy said, lock up all poisonous products!

SEND
Tony L.
Away L2 years ago

Amy has this spot on.. it's common sense to not leave them around!

SEND
Amy Thompson
Amy Thompson2 years ago

Duh!! Sorry, ingesting these pods has killed children, so they are quite obviously toxic to pets!!! Parents and pet guardians need to have some common sense and accountability by keeping ALL cleaning products out of reach of children and pets!!! I don't understand how people can sue these companies when THEY themselves have displayed negligence by allowing access to such products.

SEND
Nicole W.
Nicole W2 years ago

thank you

SEND
Nick W.
No W2 years ago

thank you for posting

SEND
Sen Heijkamp
Sayenne H2 years ago

Thankss

SEND