A subtle and unexpected hint of cloves really adds a perfect note to this easy-to-make and delicious apple crisp. Planning ahead? You can prepare the topping the day before; chill in the fridge.
- 3/4 Cup flour
- 3/4 Cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup oats
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 Cups Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, & cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 Cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Teaspoons flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
Baking Dish: Glass 8x8x2.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare topping. In a medium bowl, stir flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and cloves to combine. Add butter; the mixture should be clumpy; mix nuts in mixture. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, toss apples, rhubarb, sugar, flour and vanilla until well coated. Add apple-rhubarb mixture to baking dish, sprinkle topping over it in an even layer.
4. Bake for about 45 minutes. Crumble is done when the topping is crisp and the fruit is tender. Let sit for 20 minutes before serving warm.
Recipe Credit: Epicurious.