So How Do I Get Healthy Bones?
1. Consume a plant based diet of calcium-rich food.
- Plant based diets have vitamin K and other nutrients necessary for calcium absorption.
- Leafy vegetables that contain vitamin K, like kale, spinach, broccoli and cabbage also contain calcium!
This is a list the Top Dairy-Free Calcium-Rich Foods.
- The reason northern populations who eat more meat have poor bone health is because animal protein is much more acidic than plant proteins. Generally, their whole their diet is too acidic.
- An acidic body will rob the alkaline mineral calcium from the bones in order to balance the acid in the blood and tissues.
- The body is therefore slowly leaching away its own calcium and weakening the bones even though there might be plenty of calcium in the diet.
3. You Don’t Have to Eat Dairy Products
- Cheeses, although they have the highest levels of calcium foods (see list) are also some of the most acid forming foods.
- Our food sensitivity testing over 20 years with over 20,000 tests indicates that most individuals experienced decreased energy levels when consuming milk products. This decrease in vitality shows is eventually linked to a number of health concerns, including bone health.
- Many health experts question the quality of our homogenized and commercially produced milk. We are now wondering whether adults should even be drinking milk at all.
4. Go For Walks or Runs in The Big Outdoors
- Vitamin D from sunshine is essential for calcium absorption.
- Regular weight-training exercise gives signals to the bones that they need to be stronger. The body is smart and responds!
- Exercise has been shown to decrease every degenerative disease, as long as it is not too strenuous.
5. Don’t Smoke.
Smoking along with destroying almost every aspect of your body also happens to be in the top 10 risk factors for osteoporosis.
6. Avoid Junk Food–Especially Sodas
- Almost all junk foods are acidic–particularly soft drinks that contain phosphoric acid.
- Teenage girls who consume the most soda have five times the fractures of those who consume the least.
- Junk foods contain excessive amounts of sodium which has been shown to reduce calcium levels in the body.
7. Eat more vegetables and fewer grains.
- 38 percent of the average North American’s acidic load comes from grains, and most of that comes from wheat. Until you master the skills of choosing grains and proteins that are more alkaline-–a simple solution is to reduce wheat and increase vegetables.
- In our testing we almost never find wheat is healthy for an individual.
- Many individuals find that by reducing gluten grains from their diet, their overall health improves. When the whole body is functioning more smoothly, it is better able to manage bone health.
8. Skip the Calcium Supplements
- If a supplement is not whole food-based, and very carefully processed, it will not be digested by the body and may even cause imbalance.
- Calcium supplements have been linked to increased risk for heart attacks and little reduction in fractures.
Delicious Vegan Calcium-Rich Recipes: