Athletes call it “The Zone” and strive to get there, knowing their best performance happens in that space. Musicians, artists, all creative people know it well. The most fortunate of us can reach the Flow state in the course of our everyday work and activities. It is good for your health, for life satisfaction, and for a host of other desirable things.
What does the Flow feel like? Have you ever been in the Flow? Are you in the Flow now? Take this quiz and find out:
Take note of all the statements that are or have ever been TRUE for you:
1. I am completely involved in the activity, focused, concentrating–either because of innate curiosity of as the result of training.
2. I have a sense of ecstasy, of being outside everyday reality. I experience great inner clarity, knowing what needs to be done and how well it is going.
3. I have a strong knowing that the activity is do-able–that my skills are adequate, so there is neither anxiety nor boredom.
4. I feel a sense of serenity–no worries about self, feeling of growing beyond the boundaries of ego–afterwards and a feeling of transcending ego in ways not thought possible.
5. I feel a sense of timelessness; I am thoroughly focused on the present, and don’t notice time passing.
6. I feel a sense of intrinsic motivation–i.e. whatever produces “Flow” in me becomes its own reward, so I continue the activity to continue having the feeling.
If you answered “TRUE” to any of these questions, you have a good understanding of your own Flow experience.