Are You Ready for No Meat March?
No Meat March is right around the corner! Are you willing to go meat free for 31 days?
For someone who grew up on a meat-and-three type diet, eating vegetarian or vegan might seem a little bit daunting, which is why I’m a big fan of giving meatless eating a go in little spurts. From Meatless Monday to The Weekend Vegan Challenge, there are lots of fun ways to dip your toe into meatless eating without totally committing to life-long plant-based eating.
Related Reading: 20 Healthy Recipes to Jumpstart Your New Year
If you’re ready to take meatless eating a little bit further, next month is a great opportunity! The Girls Gone Green are launching No Meat March 2013, a month-long vegetarian challenge.
Like I said, cutting out meat from your diet can seem a little bit extreme if you’re used to centering your plate around the meat. Take that steak away, and what’s left? Maybe some sad, steamed veggies? A side salad? Possibly a baked potato? That’s no fun at all!
Luckily, vegetarian and vegan eating goes way beyond a salad and a baked potato. It’s all about reimagining that plate to make plant-based foods like beans, veggies, nuts, and whole grains the stars of the show.
You don’t have to do this without support! On the next page, check out the intro video for No Meat March along with a list of vegetarian recipes to help you get started!
No Meat March
10 Vegetarian Recipes
The key to a successful month of vegetarian eating is arming yourself with delicious recipes! Here are some vegetarian recipe ideas to kick off your No Meat March!
1. Potato Soup with Mushrooms and Kale – You can serve up a big bowl of this soup for a one-dish meal, or serve crusty bread and a salad to go on the side.
3. Beans and Greens with Herbed Polenta – This tasty plate is a meal all on its own. Beans and greens are such a delicious combo!
4. Vegan Enchiladas – This healthier take on a Mexican favorite is filling, delicious, and kid-friendly.
5. Lentil Loaf – You can create a more traditional plate by making this bean-and-nut-based loaf the star of the show! This is great with some greens on the side and a dollop of mashed potatoes.
Related Reading: 15 Easy Vegan Main Dishes
6. Manicotti with Pesto Cashew Cheeze – Who doesn’t love pasta for supper? These little rolls will warm your heart without giving you heart disease!
7. Mussaman Curry – Mmm…you won’t miss the meat in this deeply-seasoned Thai curry.
8. Minestrone Soup – Make some garlic bread to go with, and you are in business!
9. Gnocchi and Vegetable Italian Stir Fry – Rich gnocchi and lots of healthy veggies make for a filling – and surprisingly quick – supper.
10. Raw Marinated Mushrooms and Kale with Walnut Cheese – Stuffed portobello mushrooms pair deliciously with massaged, raw kale.
If you’re ready to take the plunge, you can take the No Meat March pledge to get started!
Image Credit: photo by Becky Striepe