Spring is around the corner, which means it’s almost prime time for asparagus! This pie is a great way to celebrate the season. Filo gives it a light and flaky texture, and lemon zest gives the filling an uplifting flavor. Like an airy quiche, it’s perfect for a Sunday brunch or a pot luck picnic. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
2 cups fresh asparagus, cut in 1” pieces
4 eggs, beaten (extra-large)
15 ounces ricotta cheese
4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon granulated onion
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup olive oil
16 sheets filo dough (14” X 9”)
ice water (to drop asparagus in after cooking)
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus. Cook uncovered for 30 seconds or until asparagus turns bright green. Immediately remove from pan and drop in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, asparagus, cheeses and seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 375◦. Brush a 13” X 9” baking dish with some of the oil. Unroll filo dough. Layer 8 sheets of filo in prepared pan, brushing each sheet with some of the oil. Keep remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Spread ricotta mixture in the prepared dish, top with remaining layers of filo, brushing with oil as before. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let sit for ten minutes, then cut into rectangles and serve.
Total cooking time: 1 hour and a half