Be Healthy With An EcoNest
A bird builds its nest using the materials at hand to create a perfect shelter for its bioregion. It doesn’t fly to the next state for twigs nor does it build a home that is bigger than it needs. You can create many aspects of a human econest for good health and ecological balance without building from scratch, by implementing these seven design features:
Seven EcoNest Features
Beyond creating a healthy wall system with straw and clay, and choosing safe materials, there are several design features that help to promote health and that are incorporated into econest design. These include:
1. Separate the living space from car fumes.
2. Create a space to take shoes off at the front door.
3. Include accessible and appealing outdoor spaces to facilitate a connection with nature and its rhythms.
4. Provide proper ventilation.
5. Plan and design a house layout for safe electrical installation.
6. Include drains where a water source might leak and cause damage.
7. Separate the living space from by-products of combustion.
Adapted from Econest, by Paula Baker-Laporte et al (Gibbs Smith, Publisher, 2005). Copyright (c) 2005 by Paula Baker-Laporte et al. Reprinted by permission of Gibbs Smith, Publisher.
Adapted from Econest, by Paula Baker-Laporte et al (Gibbs Smith, Publisher, 2005).