Beyond Guacamole: 8 Unusual Avocado Recipes
You know that avocados are great on sandwiches, on top of salads, and – of course – in guacamole. But there are so many other ways to use this versatile fruit! Check out these unusual avocado recipes and tips on choosing the perfect avocado.
In compiling the list below, what struck me most was how many recipes I found for using avocados in desserts! Avocado is loaded with healthy fat and vitamin E, so replacing egg, butter, or cream with avocado gives the desserts on this list a healthy boost without sacrificing flavor.
How to Choose a Ripe Avocado
Not sure how to decide whether an avocado is ripe or over-ripe? Ever been faced with a bin full of avocados that are hard as rocks? Check out this visual guide to choosing a ripe avocado or gauging how long those avocado-shaped rocks will take to ripen in your fruit basket.
8 Unusual Avocado Recipes
1. Avocado Pudding – Don’t knock this until you try it! Avocado makes a creamy base for chocolate pudding, and the strong flavor from the cocoa powder masks the avocado taste completely.
2. Avocado Naan – Mashed avocado gives this Indian flatbread a richer texture and lovely light green color.
3. Avocado-Lime Cupcakes – Who knew that avocados were so handy in rich desserts?
4. Raw Avocado-Lime Soup – Don’t you love a cold soup on a warm spring day?
5. Avocado-Mango-Fig Salsa – Avocado and fruit pair up beautifully in this unusual salsa recipe.
6. Avocado Corn Cups – You can stuff raw avocados with this flavorful corn salad or grill your halved avocados first. Either way, this is a quick, delicious meal!
7. Vegan Taco Pizza – Top a Mexican-style pizza with sliced avocado. This recipe calls for vegan cheese, but if that’s not your thing you can skip the cheese all together in favor of more sliced avocado. I’ve done it, and you won’t be sorry!
8. Pear-Avocado Smoothie – Creamy avocado makes a green smoothie into a stick-with-you breakfast.
Avocado Graphic via Visual.ly