Ripe, juicy peaches and flavorful blueberries–filled with just about the highest-quality antioxidants known–make one fabulous summer dessert combination.
Crumbles are so easy to make, and they use oats and wheat germ instead of butter-rich crust, so the results are both healthy and delicious. The perfect no-hassle way to use ripe summer fruits and berries.
1 cup blueberries
3 cups thinly sliced peaches
4 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup wheat germ
pinch of ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons safflower oil
Vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt, or nondairy frozen dessert, optional
1. In a medium bowl, toss fruit with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9-by 9-inch baking pan or 9-inch pie pan.
3. In a small bowl, combine oats, walnuts, wheat germ, remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and cinnamon. Gradually add the oil, stirring until dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
4. Place sugared fruit in prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle topping over fruit.
5. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until topping is golden and beginning to crisp. Cool until just warm and serve plain or with one of the optional vanilla toppings, if you like.