I’ve seen my fair share of crummy office spaces–although now I am fortunate to work in a lovely one. If you spend your time in a not-so-inspired workspace, there are some quick fixes to brighten up your work area. In my opinion, adding some color is key–and anytime you can replace synthetic materials with natural ones will definitely help to boost inspiration. Here are a few more ideas that can help.
• Place a small desk lamp in the top center of your desk near your writing hand to up the wattage at your workstation and offset harsh shadows cast by overhead fluorescents. Better yet, if you have control over harsh overhead floursecents, turn them off and use table lamps with warmer CFLs or LEDs.
• Use some office feng shui to garner respect of co-workers that enter your space by facing your desk toward your office entrance, and as far back as possible. If you can’t move your furniture, a small mirror opposite the door will simulate the effect.
• Place a scenic piece of art at eye level on the wall in front of your desk. A vista or seascape something with depth and perspective will subconsciously encourage you to seize opportunities.
• Hang a symbol of achievement–a diploma, award, or letter of appreciation–above your desk that speaks to your accomplishments and represents your value as an employee.
• Add natural elements throughout your space–they invite trust. Substitute a wicker basket for your plastic trash can, place pens in earthenware containers, a favorite rock for a paperweight–and position a plant on your bookshelf.
Delicious Living is the go-to resource for the natural and organic lifestyle, helping readers eat well, live green, and stay healthy. Visit deliciouslivingmag.com for more articles and free recipes.
By Rebecca L. Olgeirson, Delicious Living