Make the switch to soy wax candles! Here’s why:
• Because they’re green. “By using soy wax, (you are supporting) and investing in a renewable resource rather than petroleum-based corporations,” says Way Out Wax’s Anna Barrett. “Every ingredient is an agricultural product.”
• Because they double as massage oil. That’s right–melted soy wax works as a fantastic moisturizer as well as a soothing massage oil, because it doesn’t firm back up when removed from a heat source.
• Because they burn better. “Clean burning soy leaves minimal wax residue and won’t produce the petroleum-based paraffin black soot residue known as ‘ghosting’ on furnishings or walls,” explains the creator of Verikira Naturals, Kira Peterson. Soy also is less likely to trigger allergy problems than paraffin candles. What’s more, the wicks of all featured candles here are made without the use of harmful lead.
• Because they support the community. “(We) are passionate about supporting American farmers … businesses and Mother Nature as we are about candles, and that’s the way we think it ought to be,” says Karen Schumacher, founder of Heirloom candles.
• Because they last longer. “Soy is a biodegradable and water-soluble product that burns cooler than paraffin and, therefore, slower,” says Christine White-Stanton of Scandle Candles.
Take eco-friendliness a step further with reusable ceramic canisters for the 7.5-oz massage candle, that you can have refilled at your local spa. $15.95.
Savor the indulgent dessert, Creme Brulee, in a non-fattening way. $10.
Yon-ka Paris Aromatherapy Candles
Crafted from 100 percent premium natural soybean wax and 100 percent pure organic essential oils, these elegant candles feature lead-free wicks and come with their own little matchbox. Our favorite scent is the Ylang Ylang-Grapefruit-Thyme. Small candle, $18; large candle $32.
Transport yourself to the alluring scents of the orient with bamboo and green tea. $18.
Way Out Wax
The recycled tumbler features water color art inspired by the scents on its label. Cherry on top: The candles are handcrafted using GMO-free soy and 100 percent certified organic essential oils. $44.99.
The Soi Company
Celebrate the holidays all year long with Holiday Spirit, a candle that’s a festive blend of ground cinnamon, fruits, and spiced rum. $24.95.
WoodSprite Organic Body
Light a patchouli pillar candle and watch the tension melt away. $25.
Organic Spa Magazine is a national consumer lifestyle magazine about bringing spa wisdom into the modern green lifestyle. For a free digital subscription, click here.
By Myron Mariano, Organic Spa magazine