Have you heard recently about the antioxidant rich, cancer fighting, low calorie veggie: cabbage? If so and you’re interested in the health benefits, you’re in luck! I’ve included salads, slaws, stir fries and more* to help you incorporate cabbage into your weekly menu!
Simple Cabbage Salad
1 small head cabbage, shredded
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 sweet onion (optional)
sea salt or substitute, to taste
34 Tbsp. raw tahini
a dash of water
Mix tahini with water and lemon juice, then add to remaining ingredients. Let chill for a few hours or serve immediately.
Cabbage, Carrot and Jicama Salad
1/4 cup cilantro or mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
56 carrots, grated
1 small head green cabbage, shredded
1 medium jicama, peeled, cut into 1/8 thick sticks
1/2 red bell pepper, cored & seeded, cut into 1/8 thick slices
2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
1. In large bowl, mix chopped cilantro, lime juice, maple syrup, salt and crushed red pepper.
2. Add carrots, cabbage, jicama and bell pepper. Toss.
3. Cover and refrigerate unless serving right away. Garnish with seeds.
Oriental Cabbage Salad
1 small head cabbage, grated
1/4 cup purple cabbage, grated
23 carrots, grated
1 scallion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, diced
2 Tbsp. miso (blonde)
sea salt/Bragg Liquid Aminos, to taste
2 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. date sugar (or 23 dates, soaked)
4 Tbsp. water (or more if needed)
1. Prepare vegetables and mix together in a bowl.
2. In a blender, whiz the garlic and ginger with the miso, sea salt, vinegar, sweetener and water. Be sure to thoroughly blend the ginger and garlic.
3. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and mix well. Marinate and chill for an hour before serving.
*All recipes have been reproduced from Incredibly Delicious: Recipes for a New Paradigm by Gentle World, which includes over 500 recipes and all sorts of tips to help make the transition to veganism easy and delicious.
Next: Slaws, Side Dishes and Entrees!