Most Caesar salads call for anchovies, but this fabulous vegetarian version uses tofu instead, with a combination of flavorful ingredients that make for the tastiest and creamiest Caesar around.
High in protein, B vitamins, and minerals, this Caesar is the emperor of salad recipes!
For the Dressing:
6 ounces silken firm organic tofu, about 3/4 cup
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Pinch black pepper
Pinch salt (optional)
For the Croutons:
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
2 slices whole-wheat or multi-grain bread
For the Salad:
1 1/2 heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup dressing
4 tablespoons freshly-grated parmesan cheese
1. Puree silken tofu in a blender on medium until smooth.
2. Add lemon juice and water and continue to blend.
3. Add remaining dressing ingredients and continue to puree until smooth. Place in airtight container and refrigerate.
4. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with olive oil.
5. In a small bowl, combine water with spices. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat one side of bread slices with spice mix. Cut bread into 1-inch pieces and spread on baking sheet.
6. Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until bread cubes are crisp and dry.
7. In a large bowl, combine romaine lettuce with dressing and toss lightly. Divide into 4 equal portions and place on large plates. Top each salad with 1/4 of croutons and 1 tablespoon freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Canyon Ranch Cooks, by Barry Correia, Scott Uehlein, and the Kitchen Staff of Canyon Ranch (Rodale Press, 2001). Copyright (c) 2001 by Barry Correia, Scott Uehlein and the Kitchen Staff of Canyon Ranch. Reprinted by permission of Rodale Press.
Adapted from Canyon Ranch Cooks, by Barry Correia, Scott Uehlein, and the Kitchen Staff of Canyon Ranch (Rodale Press, 2001).