These caramelized onions are rich and delicious! We bake them with a scrumptious mustard sauce that nicely balances the sweetness of the onions. We bake our onions but you can also grill them.
Caramelized Onion Halves with Mustard Sauce
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoon agave syrup or honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
5 large sweet onions
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the ends off of onions, cutting as little as possible and then peel. Cut in half horizontally.
- Place on sprayed pan with the wide side facing up.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients in a bowl until slightly thickened, then brush on onion halves.
- Bake covered in oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and add more sauce. Increase oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Bake another 20 minutes or until onions are slightly browned on top.
Total cooking time: 1 hour and 10 minutes