These caramelized onions are rich and delicious! We bake them with a scrumptious mustard sauce that nicely balances the sweetness of the onions. We bake our onions but you can also grill them.
Caramelized Onion Halves with Mustard Sauce
˝ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoon agave syrup or honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
5 large sweet onions
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the ends off of onions, cutting as little as possible and then peel. Cut in half horizontally.
- Place on sprayed pan with the wide side facing up.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients in a bowl until slightly thickened, then brush on onion halves.
- Bake covered in oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and add more sauce. Increase oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Bake another 20 minutes or until onions are slightly browned on top.
Total cooking time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Baked Zucchini Halves with Lemon Butter
You probably still have some zucchini left over from the harvest. If you’re looking for something to do with them, look no further. This is a tasty way to make your garden delights come to life with flavor and juiciness. The seasonings are subtle but come together in a delicious way with just a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. We bake ours but you can also grill them.
6 small zucchini – cut off ends and cut lengthwise
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter or *Earth Balance, melted
1 teaspoon lemon juice (pinch of lemon zest too if you like)
˝ teaspoon lemon pepper
˝ teaspoon granulated garlic
˝ teaspoon granulated onion
Pinch oregano – dried or fresh
Pinch curry powder
Pinch sea salt
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and trim zucchini ends. Cut lengthwise and arrange in pans face up.
- In bowl or measuring cup whisk together melted butter with all sauce ingredients, except for parmesan. Allow to cool.
- Brush sauce on zucchini (try to get a good amount of mixture on each zucchini half.) Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and serve.
Total cooking time: 30 minutes
*Earth Balance: a vegan buttery-tasting spread made with olive, soybean and canola oil.