If the word canapé brings to mind tedious, fussy finger food, let us change your opinion. We’ve adopted the fancy format but left out the pomp and circumstance for these creative concoctions. Read on for canapés three ways: Goat cheese with spicy orange marmalade, white bean puree with basil oil, and blue cheese-butter with pears and walnuts.
Canapes with Goat Cheese, Red-Pepper Orange Marmalade and Pistachios
6 ounces goat cheese
4 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (adjust to taste)
¼ cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
1. Slice baguette into ¼-inch rounds and toast.
2. Stir crushed red pepper into orange marmalade.
3. Spread goat cheese on toasted rounds.
4. Top with marmalade and sprinkle with pistachios.
Canapes with White Bean Puree and Basil Oil
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup cooked white beans (or 1 can if not using dried beans)
½ roasted red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
8 slices whole wheat bread
1. Make basil oil: Put basil and olive oil in a blender and puree until smooth. In a saucepan, simmer the mixture over medium heat for 3 minutes. Strain and let cool.
2. Using a small round cookie cutter, cut out four circles from each slice of bread, toast circles.
3. Place beans, red pepper, garlic and lemon in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork, season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Spread bean mixture on toasts and drizzle with basil oil.
Canapes with Blue Cheese-Butter and Pears
6 ounces blue cheese
2 tablespoons organic butter, softened
2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
¼ toasted walnuts, crumbled
8 slices (or 1 baguette) raisin walnut bread
1. Cut bread slices into quarters, or slice baguette into ¼ inch rounds, and lightly toast.
2. Mash blue cheese and butter together in a small bowl, and spread on toasts.
3. Top toasts with sliced pears and garnish with walnuts.
By the Care2 Green Living Staff