There are many nightmare scenarios for cat owners, but taking your cat to the vet for a routine flea bath and having her accidentally euthanized probably is not one you would expect. Tragically, that did indeed happen to Colleen Conlon and her 8-year-old cat, Lady.
Colleen’s 24-year-old son, Jesse, took Lady to the Broadway Animal hospital last week and unknowingly authorized the cat to be put down when he was handed, and then signed, the wrong forms. He learned about the mistake when he returned to drop off the family’s other cat for a bath and to pick up Lady. He was asked by the vet if he wanted to keep the body.
At first he thought it was a tasteless joke, but then realized the vet was serious — Lady had been accidentally euthanized.
When confronted by Colleen, the vet apologetically told her Jesse had signed the papers — and indeed he had.
The moral of this sad story is painfully clear: DO NOT ever sign paperwork that you have not read.
My heart goes out to the Conlon family, who must be devastated and shocked by the sudden death of their beloved pet.
Image: Jesse Conway / AP
Lucky Cat Survives Euthanizing Twice