Celebrate Family Health & Fitness Day
Today is the 12th annual Family Health & Fitness Day USA–a national health and fitness event for families that is always held on the last Saturday in September. The day’s purpose is to promote family involvement in physical activity, one of the goals of the U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health.
Local organizations throughout the country will host family-related health and fitness events at schools, park districts, hospitals, YMCAs/YWCAs, malls, health clubs and other community locations. Local family health and fitness activities will vary widely based on the organization hosting the event and the interests of local families. Activities will be non-competitive and may include walking events, low-impact exercises, health screenings, open houses, games and health information workshops.
Even if you don’t participate in an organized event for the day, it’s a great time to remember the importance of family fitness. Here are five ways you can celebrate Family Health and Fitness Day at your own leisure:
1. Understand the importance of going outside to play: No Child Left Inside.
2. Read these tips for Clean and Green Exercise.
3. Learn about the benefits of yoga with Green Girl.
4. Find out Annie’s favorite exercise for a rainy day.
5. Read why walking is better for you than you think.