Dandelions are one of the most hated weeds! Why? Mostly, because some people want lawns like golf courses. However, dandelions have been used as food and for medicine for thousands of years. They are extremely good for you!
Last week, while creating my vegetable patch and digging dandelions up from my lawn, I decided to harvest them as food rather than as weeds. I decided to celebrate dandelions! You can learn how to:
“What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
7 Health Benefits:
1. The leaves can be used to treat upset stomach, muscle aches, intestinal gas, constipation and loss of appetite. Like all dark leafy vegetables, they are strongly alkaline. Here’s a complete list of dandelion leaf benefits.
2. Spanish people brought it over for medicine and for food, called chicoria.
3. Germans used it as an early spring infusion of nutrition and vitamins.
4. The English used it to cure liver problems and other illnesses.
5. In India, it is also used mainly as a remedy for liver problems.
6. Dandelion root is grown and exported to Russia for medical remedies.
7. The roots are used to help the liver, anemia, and much more.
Next: trivia and nutrition
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.