Chakras are energy centers in the body that hold secrets for
living our lives in more whole and balanced ways.
The ROOT chakra connects us firmly to life, reminding us that we were called here and that we have a right to be. The ROOT chakra corresponds to the color red and is located at the base of the spine in the perineum. The root chakra holds valuable lessons about vitality, groundedness, connection to the earth, trust, security, survival and our ability to be fully in our bodies.
If you have been feeling a scary sense of scarcity or insecurity, or if you sometimes feel disconnected, try this simple exercise to help you reconnect with your root chakra.
1. Sit with your spine straight, and bring your attention to your “sit place,” the place where your body intersects the chair or floor. Notice any feelings or sensations in this area.
2. Now imagine roots coming down from your body, strong, beautiful roots that reach all the way down into the rich, vital earth. Imagine drawing earth energy up through these roots into your body.
3. As you do this, pay attention to the way gravity keeps you here, refusing to let you float away. Feel the solid comfort of your weight as it rests against the chair or floor.
4. Next, really notice your own aliveness: you are breathing. Your heart is beating. There are processes going on inside you that you donít even have to think about. Give a moment of gratitude to your body for its wise functioning.
5. Now imagine trusting this universe that brought you forth, that called you here to take your place in life. Bring your consciousness once more to your “sit place,” and thank it for its connection to the earth, and to life.
By Cait Johnson, author of Earth, Water, Fire, and Air (SkyLight Paths, 2002).