Chili & Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipes for a Super Bowl Feast
My friend green Diva Gina was inspired to share her family’s turkey chili and gluten-free cornbread recipes for the impending Super Bowl festivities. Read GD Gina’s original post here.
I’m not a huge football fan, but like a true foodie, for me it is always about creating a yummy and healthy menu of goodies. I’m not sure how or why chili became a standard for Super Bowl Sunday, but we’ve come up with a fun vegan version that everyone loves and looks forward to.
So, here are two chili recipes — one turkey, one vegan — and an awesome gluten-free cornbread recipe (for nutrition details, please visit the original post).
Listen to this fun Green Divas Foodie-Philes podcast to hear the details, and of course the recipes are below!
1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey meat
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cups water
28 ounces of crushed tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) kidney beans that are drained, rinsed, and mashed
1 can (8 ounces) black beans that are drained, rinsed and mashed
1 can (8 ounces) sweet corn
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Add salt and pepper to taste
1 container low-fat sour cream
1 dash of parsley
Shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- After serving, add shredded cheese to taste. Garnish with dash of parsley.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large sweet onion – chopped fine
2 cloves garlic – crushed
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup pearled barley
1 28 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes w/ juice (I use Muir Glen)
1 cup vegetable broth
2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups drained cooked dark red kidney beans
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 jalapeņo pepper – finely minced
Fresh cilantro – chopped
- In a large skillet, sautee onions in oil until they are soft (about 3 minutes)
- Add garlic and cumin, oregano, salt & pepper and cook for another minute
- Add barley and mix well
- Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil
- Transfer everything to the crock pot
- Add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes and beans
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or 3 – 4 hours on high
- 1/2 hour before it is finished, mix the chili powder with the lime juice and add to the crock pot with the finely minced jalapeņo pepper
- Cook for another 1/2 hour
- Serve with cilantro garnish
Green Diva Gina’s Gluten-Free Cornbread
3 eggs – lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups room-temperature water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
1 cup millet flour
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup organic white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a circular baking pan about 10 inches in diameter.
- Whisk together the eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a bowl until evenly blended; set aside. Stir together the cornmeal, millet flour, rice flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl, and make a well in the center. Pour the liquid mixture into the well and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven until golden and the top springs back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.