Classic Strawberry Crisp Recipe
Crisps are such an easy way to enjoy fresh fruit. You basically just put the fruit in a baking dish and cover it with a quick-to-make topping that you throw together in the food processor. This luscious strawberry version comes out of the oven bubbling with sweet crimson juice and topped with nutty, crunchy topping. Mmmm–totally mouthwatering and delicious.
Classic Strawberry Crisp is a real crowd-pleaser: hurray for the pleasures of strawberry season!
For the Topping
3/4 cup pecan halves
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
For the Fruit
4 cups strawberries, with stems removed, cut in half lengthwise
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. On a baking sheet, spread the pecans in a single layer and toast in the oven 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Turn oven heat up to 375F.
2. When pecans have cooled, pulse them in a food processor until they form 1/4-inch pieces, then place them in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, orange zest, and nutmeg. Place this mixture along with the butter in the food processor and pulse until the mixture just begins to hold together. Add nuts and pulse until evenly mixed in.
4. Place strawberries in a bowl with the flour and sugar and toss well to combine. Place berries in a 2-quart shallow baking dish and sprinkle the topping over the surface evenly.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and the juices are bubbling around the edges. Allow to cool 20 minutes before serving.
Inspired by Spring, by Joanne Weir (Time-Life Books, 1997).