April 28 is National Pet Parent’s Day®. VPI Pet Insurance started celebrating the holiday five years ago to help honor people with pets who consider them part of our family. I have to admit, even though my dogs are my family, I don’t often think of myself as a pet parent. I just think I’m a very dedicated dog lover. But, the truth is, I go to the ends of the earth for my dogs and pets I don’t even know. And, I confess, I can be a little obsessive about the care of my dogs. Call me crazy, but I’ve done all of these in the past week:
- I got stung by a bee and was happy it was me and not one of my dogs.
- I ate my meal outside in the cold shade, so that Sanchez didn’t have to be in the sun.
- I set my alarm for 4:30 am on a Saturday and drove two hours to an agility trial with Gina.
- With my dogs in the car, I drove around for five minutes looking for parking. When I finally found a spot, it was near noisy construction, so I set out to look for another parking spot.
- After driving for an hour, I was five minutes from home when I remembered that I was out of raw dog food. I turned around and drove an extra twenty minutes, round trip, to the pet supply store.
- I took at least
50100 pictures of my dogs on my iPhone.
- I sent dozens of those pictures in texts to dog-loving friends.
- I went to a Pet Parent’s appreciation event at Google.
- I played the piano for my dogs.
- I drove around for an extra ten minutes, to find the perfect shady spot for my dogs.
- When I found the shady spot, I left calming canine music playing for them after I parked.
- I took my dogs to several dog-friendly stores.
Are you a dedicated pet parent? Have others called you crazy because of all you do for your pets? If so, what are some of the things you do that others may consider a little “over the top”? Thanks for fessing up in a comment below.
Delivering Calm, four paws at a time…
Receive a FREE DOWNLOAD from the Calm your Canine Companion music series when you sign up for the Through a Dog’s Ear newsletter and/or Lisa’s Blog. Simply click here, enter your email address and a link to the free download will be delivered to your inbox for you and your canine household to enjoy!