Pain is unfortunately a part of many people’s daily lives. Here are several goals that might help you to better control your pain:
- Keep track of your pain for a month. Note when it occurs, how severe it is and what makes it better or worse.
- Make an appointment with your doctor specifically to discuss your pain issues and how to manage them.
- Try a few sessions of acupuncture or massage, one session per week.
- If you’re using pain medication, ask your doctor whether you can take it earlier in the day to stay ahead of the pain.
- If you tend to be too active or if your pain gets worse with a lot of activity, set aside time every day to take a break and rest.
- Try applying a hot or cold pack for 20 minutes every day to see if it helps.
- Consider scheduling a consultation with a doctor who specializes in treating pain.
- Exercise most days of the week, including both aerobic conditioning and strength training in your workouts.
- If sleep or mood is an issue, take specific steps to address it.
- If your doctor orders physical therapy or other treatments, follow through with the recommendation.