Very tasty and textured, Corn Griddlecakes can be made as spicy as you like by adjusting the amount of jalapenos added.
1 ½ cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons oil
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut off of husk, or frozen if fresh is not available
½ bunch green onions, sliced thin
¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon jalapenos, fresh, minced including seeds and pith
1 ½ cups cornmeal
2 tablespoons flour of choice
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup bottled salsa
6 tablespoons sour cream
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, salt and pepper. Stir in corn, scallions, cheese and jalapenos.
- In another bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking soda and powder. Whisk into wet ingredients.
- Heat oil in frying pan on medium low. Warning: don’t heat too high as the corn can make the oil spit.
- Scoop out batter in two tablespoon portions. Tap on top of batter to lightly flatten out. Cook until slightly browned and set around edges (about 2-3 minutes). Turn and lightly brown other side (about 1-2 minutes).
- Transfer to plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with salsa and sour cream or with maple syrup. Also delicious plain.
Yield: 17 pancakes
Total cooking time: 30 minutes