Creamy & Delicious Asparagus Soup (Recipe)
Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring this year. Why not celebrate the good news with a delicious spring-worthy soup?
- 1 Pound asparagus, rinsed trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 3/4 Cup onion, chopped (a little less than one medium onion)
- 1 3/4 Cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 Pinch nutmeg
- 1 Cup skim milk (or soy, if your prefer)
- 1/2 Cup plain yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)
- Chives, chopped to garnish (optional)
1. In a large saucepan over high heat, bring asparagus and onion in 1/2 cup vegetable broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook until tender.
2. Place vegetables in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
3. In the saucepan, melt butter. Whisk constantly while stirring in flour, salt pepper, and nutmeg, cooking for about 2 minutes. Pour in remaining vegetable oil in bring heat up to medium, stirring until it boils.
4. Add asparagus/onion mixture and milk into the saucepan, stirring constantly until evenly distributed. Stir in yogurt and lemon juice. Continue stirring until the soup is hot. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and/or some chopped chives if desired.
Recipe Adapted From: AllRecipes