Spiritual and Holistic Options
If I can catch myself at the beginning of the bad mood, I can often get my energy flowing positively again by doing the following process:
1. I acknowledge what I am feeling without making any judgment about it. I avoid wallowing around in the negative emotions and prolonging them, but I definitely feel them fully. I “stay with the feeling.”
2. I acknowledge that there is a reason why I am feeling the way I am.
3. I spend twenty seconds or so identifying what is causing my energy to flow negatively.
4. Having identified the source of my negative emotion, I then ask myself what I do want. (Have a friend do this with you if you need help clarifying your wants in a positive, nonreactive way.) What I want is usually the opposite of what I am experiencing.
5. I then name what I want. Stating our wants is powerful because it defines them clearly, allowing our creative energy to flow toward them.
6. Finally, I affirm that I have the power within me, via my inner guidance and my power of intent, to get what I want.
7. Remember the law of attraction. The people and circumstances we attract to us are always a reflection of our own thoughts and beliefs. Update your beliefs, if necessary.
Going through this process is not a way to deny my emotions or stuff them. Rather, it helps me acknowledge them, feel them fully, and use them as guidance toward what I do want.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.
Christiane Northrup, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Christiane Northrup, M.D., a board-certified ob/gyn, is a visionary pioneer, beloved authority in women’s health and wellness, and the author of the ground breaking New York Times bestsellers Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause. Her third book, Mother-Daughter Wisdom, was voted Amazon’s #1 book of 2005 (in two categories). Her latest books, The Secret Pleasures of Menopause and The Secret Pleasures of Menopause Playbook, teach how to experience joy, pleasure, prosperity, fulfillment, and vibrant health.
Following a 25-year career in both academic medicine and private practice, Dr. Northrup now devotes her time to helping women truly flourish on all levels through tapping into their inner wisdom. Through her exclusive Women’s Wisdom Circle, Dr. Northrup shares cutting-edge medical and lifestyle advice. For more information about Dr. Northrup and her Wisdom Circle go to www.DrNorthrup.com.