The loving caregiver becomes harmoniously attuned to the child, and the child’s brain can then function more harmoniously. More importantly, the beneficial effects of loving contact or proximity between caretaker and child can be amplified by the adult consciously adopting a more sincere loving or caring emotional state, thus introducing increased heart coherence into the electromagnetic field.
10 tips to help moms reduce the stress load and restore emotional balance:
- Get into heart coherence and get attuned to your own heart. Take inventory – where am I out of balance? What is draining me? Get clear answers and take some conscious steps towards fixing what’s not working. Share the technique with whole family. Do it together.
- Lose the martyr role if you have it. It is actually counter to true caring for others – it creates codependency and heart incoherence, whereas true care for self creates balance.
- Your health is critical. People can endure chronic stress for only so long before they burnout and get sick. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, adequate exercise and eating nutritiously for your body’s needs.
- Ask for help. There is no prize for doing it all and doing it alone. Join a mother’s club, reach out to friends, hire help, delegate chores and childcare to family members. It does indeed “take a village” to raise a child.
- Practice appreciation and gratitude. Send genuine feelings of appreciation to your child and if that’s hard to do because your child has become problematic, then connect with the feeling of love or appreciation you had when he/she was first born and send that feeling to your child now. This activates the body’s biochemical systems that help to diminish stress and stabilize your psyche. Also send some compassion to your kids and yourself.
- Communicate openly with your family about stress. Agree to give more latitude to each other so that if someone is irritable at times, it’s not taken personally. Be sure to explain this to your children, because they usually can’t understand the depth of what adults are experiencing. Be as positive around children as you can and reassure them when things are tough, they’ll improve. Have a family dialogue about what each member can do to have less stress in their lives.
- Enjoy each other. Be in the heart together – play games, watch or participate in sports, share meals, talk.
- Check out HeartMath’s helpful e-booklets: Solving Sleeplessness, Stopping Emotional Eating, Transforming Stress, Easing Fatigue, Understanding Care, Securing Our Children’s Future, and more titles for children and teens.
- Try HeartMath’s emWave® 2, our award-winning stress-busting tool. Using this feedback device to get into heart coherence, you can transform tension into relaxation and clarity.
- ‘Like’ our HeartMath My Kids! Facebook page. You’ll find free games, tips and age-appropriate techniques for teaching children how to shift to the qualities of the heart and build coherence.